MS can be well managed by starting the following immediately after diagnosis.
- Eating healthy low fat diet that is rich in vital fatty acids
- Supplementing your diet with fundamental fatty acids
- Testing yourself for food and other allergies
- Doing regular exercise, physiotherapy or yoga
- Maintaining a positive attitude to life
- Keeping your brain active and stimulated
- Getting enough rest
- Avoiding fatigue
- Leading a stress free life or as nearly stress-free as possible
- Having satisfying relationships with significant others
- Resisting aggressive drugs that weaken the immune system
Our support groups strive to meet the following objectives:
- To assist PwMS to live and cope positively and well with MS and to have an improved quality of life, by promoting physical, psychological, spiritual, emotional, social and economic well-being
- To allow group members to share their MS experiences
- To allow members to learn from each other on how to manage MS
- To give professional advice to group members on how to cope with the negative impacts of MS
- To provide the psychosocial support to group members
The support groups are facilitated by social workers from the Multiple Sclerosis South Africa Inland Branch.
At the moment we have two support groups running, one at Anne Harding Cheshire Home (Northworld) and the other one in Park View (Perfect Cup Cafe).
The Anne Harding support grou...
Baker, Dr MK Military Hospital PRETORIA 012 314 0487
Bham, Dr A GREENSIDE 011 646 6658
Connor, Dr MD University of Witwatersrand JOHANNESBURG 011 488 4430 / 2 / 3
Duim, Dr Wiebren Neuro Spinal Building – Little Company of Mary Hospital 50 George Storrar ave, Groenkloof Pretoria 012 460 2900
Flemming Dr J Milpark Hospital PARKTOWN 011 726 7370
Giampaulo, Dr DL Rosebank Medical & Dental Centre ROSEBANK 011 442 5848
Guldenpfennig, Dr WM Little Company of Mary Medical Centre PRETORIA 012 346 1498 / 9
Isaacs, Dr MD MORNINGSIDE 011 884-0190
Kakaza, Dr M Pretoria Academic Hospital PRETORIA 012 354-2390
Kok, Dr HDL HYDEPARK 011 788-2337
Kretzmer, Dr SH Sunninghill Hospital JOHANNESBURG 011 806-1714/2
Kritzinger, Dr PH Pretoria East Hospital PRETORIA 012 998-8885
Things you might want to avoid saying to someone with MS
Most people who say these things don’t mean to cause hurt feelings. With that in mind the author offers a guide for friends and family members.
But you look so good …
I was diagnosed with MS two years ago. Of course I don’t think that makes me an expert, but when a family member mentioned an old wives’ tale about the disease and tried to convince me that it was true, I thought someone really should create a guide.
To be honest, I’m not sure what feelings this is supposed to evoke, but the speaker, perhaps unknowingly, has just insinuated:
- People who look good aren’t supposed to have an illness
- Suffering is always visible
Just because someone looks as though they’re doing...